Brian Casel
Brian Casel

The Best Ideas Come Fast

by Brian Casel on December 22, 2018
See what I was up to that year · Subscribe

Ever since I’ve been creating things, I noticed an interesting phenomenon:

My very best work, the things I’m most proud of and get the most enjoyment out of creating, always came about fast.

Whether it’s writing a song, forming a business idea, designing a concept, or making a joke, the best ones come to fruition 10 times faster than all my other attempts.

They come 10 times easier too.

When one of these golden ideas shows up, it’s like a freight train speeding down the track and I grab on for dear life. I can’t stop it or slow it down. I can only hope to keep it on the tracks until it reaches its destination.

Of course, the best ideas only happen 20% of the time. The other 80%, I’m working hard to create something great, but only end up with good or OK.

So how can we create more of those fast great ideas, and less of those slow “meh” ideas?

Wrong question.

You can’t change the 80/20 rule. But you can improve your creative output (and results) over time.

I found these help:

  • Know who has resonated with your stuff the most and create more for them.
  • When a great idea hits, allow yourself to run with it right now (don’t let it wait).
  • If you feel sluggish and uninspired, take a break, go outside, and come back refreshed.
  • Show up again tomorrow.